Friday, October 02, 2015

Lessons Learned...My New Kitchen

I thought it was going to be a four week project....It wasn't.  Try six months.   But it was so worth it.

Introducing -- My new kitchen....


The photos were taken from my cell phone.  My camera battery needs charging.
If you are like everyone else your thought is-- nice kitchen, but it doesn't look anything like Melanie.


Even I always pictured myself with this farmhouse white kitchen with neutral counter tops.  Don wanted a classic.  He said we were getting older and the upkeep on a white painted kitchen would be more than I bargained for.  This was his vision.  He lets me hang quilts -- literally all over the house, Window panes, cross-stitch pillows, and wooden signs have tucked in spots everywhere.  I decided I could charm any kitchen into something of my own.

They are Kraftmaid cabinets but my husband installed each and everyone of them.  He took each one off the truck and hung each on the wall.  He had never done it before, but learned things from dismantling the other cabinets and the internet --- he soon became a professional ...again working on this after putting in his 45 hours at the grown up job.

Things we learned along the way -- A Fifteen inch  plate rack is for plates smaller than 15 inches.  He modified the rack with carved scallops in the edges to make my plates fit.  

We started with a map of our old kitchen and discussed what we wanted to change --- what we didn't like about the old kitchen.  The floors of gray hickory, for a barn wood feel.

I have this paranoia about microwaves frying my brain when the microwave was above my stove -- so I moved it.  Don thinks it's too low now....me-- the jury is still out on this.

The company wanted a fortune for a plywood backing on the snack bar.  Don bought cherry boards and built his own bead board wains-coating  for half the price plus it looks stunning.

Our house is a the definition of 'OAK-R-US', so it was scary choosing cherry wood, but we changed the door trim and baseboards in that room and it all blends just fine.

Spacers are important.  The Kitchen lady insisted we buy them and we could return what we didn't need.  She was right.

Crocks, quilts, cloth napkins,  wooden spoons, and a wicker basket or two cozy it up just right.

There hasn't been a lot of quilting.  I'm not much of a carpenter, but I was his sidekick for clean-up duty and a sounding board when he needed it.

5 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Looks gorgeous. We have been trying to figure out how to remodel our kitchen to suit me for a couple of years now.

Karen said...

Looks good to me. How nice that you have a new kitchen to whip up the delicious dishes you cook. I don't think my husband could have done a kitchen remodel on his own like yours has done.

Dottie said...

Oh Melanie!!!! It is stunning!!! Ya'll did an amazing job! I hope it brings you years of great meals and wonderful memories!!!

mayme said...

It's beautiful! We are also Oak everything people so know how hard this was for you. Your DH is very talented. Enjoy.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Beautiful ... a classic style like you chose is almost like a neutral background that you can use to make into your style with the right accessories and accents. Bon appetit!